The late William G. Chrisman, Jr. also known as Bill was affiliated with the Michigan Golden Gloves Association for over 50 years. Bill was one of the founding members of the original Golden Gloves gym in Grand Rapids, MI. Bill’s extreme knowledge of the sport of boxing and his dedication to help in the overall operations gained him a respected seat on the Board of Directors. In April 2014, Bill was inducted into the Robert C. Todish Michigan Golden Gloves Hall of Fame.
Bill was not only a boxing enthusiast, but he was very passionate about the importance of education and wanted to ensure that the area youths had a fair chance of becoming successful.
In Bill’s honor, the scholarship will be awarded to a boxer that currently is a full-time student in high school, college or trade school.
If you are interested in applying for the scholarship, please click on the link below to download the application and send it back to the address on the application by the deadline of 5-7-22 listed on the application form.
2022 Application Available Below
Files coming soon.
To Make a Donation Mail Checks to:
William G. Chrisman Jr. Memorial Scholarship
P.O. Box 140675
Grand Rapids, MI 49514-0675
This year’s scholarship award goes to Marcos Saucedo, Jr. from Westside Boxing Club.
Congratulations Marcos and on behalf of the William G. Chrisman, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Committee and the Michigan Golden Gloves Assoc., Inc. we wish you continued success in the years to come.
There were no Applications for the scholarship in 2021
Golden Gloves Tournament was cancelled due to Covid so no recipient.
This year’s scholarship award goes to Zoë Glass from Team Glass.
• Zoë is a full-time student at Jackson College where she currently holds a 3.8 GPA and has been on the Dean’s list since entering college in 2016. Zoë is pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice with an emphasis on Corrections.
• Zoë has been boxing for 8 years and in 2018 she placed 3rd in the USABWQ, USABEQ, USAB National tournaments and placed 1st in the King of the Jungle II tournament. Zoë is currently ranked number 5 in the nation in the Elite Female 119 lb. Division. This year’s West Michigan State Championship will be Zoë’s third time competing in this tournament.
• In May, 2019, Zoë plans on traveling with the Michigan boxing team to National Tournament of Champions which will be held in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
• Zoë is a dedicated student, a hard worker and a skilled boxer with dreams of becoming a 2020 Olympic Champion.
Congratulations Zoë and on behalf of the William G. Chrisman, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Committee and the Michigan Golden Gloves, we wish you continued success in the years to come.
This year’s scholarship award goes to Sarah Rae Batenburg
• Sarah is currently attending GVSU pursuing her bachelor degree in Criminal Justice.
• Sarah is a member and dedicated student athlete for the GVSU Boxing Club
• Sarah won the 2017 West Michigan and Michigan Golden Gloves titles
• Sarah is an active member of the GVSU Boxing Club’s Executive Board as well a member of the Michigan Association of USA Boxing (MAUSAB) Board of Directors.
Congratulations Sarah and we wish you continued success in the years to come.
The 2017 scholarship was awarded to Angelenia Schneider. Angelenia is currently pursuing her degree in Criminal Justice at Grand Valley State University.
On behalf of the Michigan Golden Gloves and the William G. Chrisman, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Committee, I would like to congratulate Angelenia and wish her continued success in the years to come.
William G. Chrisman, Jr.
Memorial Scholarship Committee